Implementing proper accessibility practices can seem a little daunting at first, but there are a few basic standards you can introduce into your project work-flow that are fairly straightforward:
- Test that your project has the proper contrast color settings between type, backgrounds, icons etc.
- Only use "fancy" grid-ordering for minor layout design - avoid rearranging important content via CSS
- Use proper HTML structures (aside, header, main, footer elements as needed)
- Make use of the aria-label attribute
- Ensure your website/app can be navigated completely (and properly) with only a keyboard
- Avoid using CSS backgrounds for content images (should only be used for patterns, layout design etc.)
- Ensure proper
altattributes are provided on all images
It isn't much - but follow these basics and you'll be one step closer to providing better accessibility to your users.